Duties & Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibility of the Field Guide is to teach back country skills, solidify course logistics, ensure group safety and serve as a positive role model for the course participants.
- Assist in course preparation, which includes creating a course itinerary, meal planning, gear pack out, assisting with client treatment plans, participation in staff meetings and participation in staff development.
- Behavior and language should communicate effective leadership and positive personal growth.
- Assist in creating a safe therapeutic environment for the course participants to explore their own emotional growth.
- Work closely with the Field Therapist in carrying out established therapeutic goals and objectives for each participant on course.
- A distinct combination of education, training, and personal experience is required to carry out responsibilities of this position.
- Teaching level proficiency in at least three modes of wilderness travel (canoeing backpacking and rock climbing).
- WFR or higher medical certification.
- B.A. or B.S. in related field preferred; NOLS, OB, or similar training; or experience working with at-risk youth and young adults in a wilderness setting.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Able to pass a State of Virginia Criminal Background Check.
- Valid driver’s license.
To learn more about Blackwater or if you have questions, please contact us