Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop client specific treatment plans as part of Treatment Team.
- Conduct group counseling sessions and formal individual sessions on 22-day wilderness-based therapeutic courses.
- Responsible for recording each client’s experience in daily progress notes and in a thorough discharge summary.
- Teach relevant educational or life-skills as outlined in course curriculum.
- Willingness to participate in all outdoor activities and assist Field Guide in hard skills instruction during course.
- Assist in facilitation of group family session at course end in accordance with program standards and goals.
- Assist in the development of sound aftercare recommendations with administrative staff that will be considered closely by clients and family.
- Must ensure physical and emotional safety of group and adherence to standards outlined in the program manual.
- Behavior and language should exhibit effective leadership, communication, and positive personal growth.
- Assist in completion of thorough course preparation which includes: creating a course itinerary, meal planning, gear pack out, assisting with client treatment plans, and participation in staff meetings and staff development.
- Assist the Field Guide with additional responsibilities during course preparation and debrief.
- Conduct family sessions when not in field.
- Willingness to perform in multiple roles and in multiple programs.
- Management, supervision and administering of medication.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Counseling, Psychology or related field.
- Professional experience working with at-risk youth or young adults.
- Previous formal wilderness experience beneficial (NOLS, OB, other), but not required.
- Basic First Aid or Wilderness First Aid and CPR required upon start date.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Able to pass a State of Virginia Criminal Background Check.
- Valid driver’s license.
To learn more about Blackwater or if you have questions, please contact us.