In today’s day and age mental health treatment can be a tricky thing to navigate let alone try and figure out how to pay for it. We do not want financial struggles to be the reason why you do not get the appropriate treatment for you or your loved one. Below you will find information regarding insurance, scholarship and grant opportunities, and an industry recommended loan company.
More and More families are reimbursed by insurance companies for a portion of program costs. The amount varies and depends on the insurance plan. Please contact our business manager for assistance with insurance coding. Blackwater Outdoor Experiences joins our fellow wilderness program Open Sky Wilderness in recommending families work with these independent companies devoted to helping families to secure insurance reimbursement.
Denials Management – President Mary Covington (ext. 200)
Tel: (866) 322-0787
SJ Health Insurance Advocates
Tel: (973) 740 – 0023
Scholarship and financing options may be available. Please contact us at 804-378-9006 for more information.
WAI’s scholarship program enables participants lacking the necessary resources to experience outdoor therapeutic programs in a supportive, professional and prescriptive context. Scholarships are allocated on the basis of financial need, without regard for nationality, religion, ethnicity, sex, or creed. Applications for WAI’s scholarship program are available upon request.
Close relatives, family friends, etc. have the opportunity to donate in the name of the individual going on the expedition for a direct credit towards their tuition. Donations are tax deductible.
To apply for a scholarship, or to learn more about donating to WAI, please contact Jennifer Weddle at 804-794-8900.
Local Area Grant Organizations
Beacon Tree Foundation (9201 Arboretum Pkwy., Ste. 315, N. Chesterfield, VA 23236) provides grants to families in order to supplement costs for mental health treatment based on financial need.
Beacon Tree Foundation requires the following criteria to be eligible to apply for a grant:
- Youth must be 21 years of age or younger, whose primary residence is Virginia and has been accepted into a program.
- Inpatient treatment was supported by licensed professional or physician.
- No family member is affiliated with Beacon Tree Foundation as a director, advisory board member, employee, or contract worker.
- Family is committed personally and financially to the completion of the prescribed treatment period.
- Beacon Tree funding is for the sole purpose of paying for program tuition and not to defray the cost of family travel or other personal needs.
- At the boards’ discretion, grants may be paid to the family or directly to the school or program upon receipt of an invoice from that school or program for the amount awarded.
- Amount of award will be based on demonstrated need, the number of qualified applications being considered and funding availability.
Prosper Funding LLC is another valuable resource when considering how to pay tuition for our programs. Prosper Funding LLC gives loans as small as $2,500 and as large as $35,000. Loan percentages are based on client credit profile.
Prosper Funding LLC offers the following benefits:
- Immediate decisions for loans under $35,000
- Term options out to 84 months (affordable monthly payments)
- No collateral required
- No prepayment penalties
- Fast and easy application process
- 100% Confidential